Creepy, Leering Neighbor

______________________________________________________________
Dear Right Advice,

-BlahBlahBlah-There's a man who lives in my building, who is much older (15 years, maybe more), who I'm not attracted to at all -BlahBlahBlah- A little while ago, some neighbors were talking, -BlahBlahBlah-They introduced me to him. . -BlahBlahBlah- a couple of weeks later, I'm doing my laundry at the laundromat, I can feel someone staring at me. It's the same older man. .he continues grinning like an idiot at me, and trying to get me to look at him. -BlahBlahBlah-I quickly looked away, -BlahBlahBlah-I didn't even look at him as he was talking to me, and hurried out. -BlahBlahBlah- a couple of days ago, as I'm leaving my apartment -BlahBlahBlah- I hear this voice, and it's him, trying to strike up conversation with me. Once I saw who it was, I quickly looked away, and walked as fast as I could. -BlahBlahBlah- This man can't seem to get the clue that I'm not interested. -BlahBlahBlah- This man gives me the creeps. -BlahBlahBlah-


Sincerely,
-BlahBlahBlah-
______________________________________________________________



Look, I get it. Our patriarchal, rape culture imposes upon women the insistence that you should all keep your head on a swivel just in case you might accidentally give off hints that you're asking for it because creepy men are forgivably enslaved by their uncontrollable libidos.

But if you liberate yourself from this oppressive mind set, what this boils down to is that this stalker-ish man is just an asshole with bad manners.

In the realm of rigid gender roles, you're perfectly within your right to seize your role and alert this guy to the fact that he's being fucking rude.

It's rude to stare.

Are you that fucking afraid that some creep is going to accuse you of being a lesbian? Come the fuck on!



My advice to you: Give him a manners check. It's not getting uppity... it's acting "ladylike."


No comments:

Post a Comment